Friday, August 27

 
My eyes

You know what they say bout contact lenses...wear em to lose the nerd-herd look one portrays with a pair of glasses...as an infrequent user of a pair of RGP Hard lenses...im not qualified to testify to that...however...i do know that them RGPs are a mighty hard pair of plastics to adapt to...this one time...at Band Camp...i went without hard lenses for a month...choosin to leave my nerdy horn-rimmed frames perched on my nose...the day i had to put em on for a football game...i found myself constantly blinkin and droppin eye-drops to adjust to the sudden invasion of a foreign object in my eye...

1 month...that's all it took for my eyes to reject em hard lenses...i had to wear em for the entire week just to get my precious orbs hang a 'Open' sign for my visitin RGP lenses...

Ive been sufferin from extreme short-sightedness for 18 years now...i remember...back in my pre-school years...i would be lyin on the bed readin a huge Famous Five book with the light behind the book...watchin Sesame Street on my 14-inch family tv while seated just 3 feet away...or a combination of both...before i knew it i had difficulties focusin on distant objects...

My concerned parent brought me to the neighborhood 'eyesight guys' (optician and optometrist)...it was dismayin news no doubt...my eyesight had shot up to 400 degrees on each side and no amount of coercin could convince me to wear em...in my eyes...glasses are evil and are the most hideous accessories...simply put...glasses are make me look ugly...

So here i was...at aged 7...wearin a pair of telescope...i simply hated them...but pragmatism got the better of me...as it is i couldnt even read a book without pullin it closer to my face while strainin my eyes...

As one of the taller boys in class...i was sitted...where else...towards the rear end of the room...so while i found a constant urge to distant myself from the hideous object while takin down notes from the blackboard i realised the only way to do that is to whip em glasses out and copy my notes hastily before anyone could notice my temporary disfigurement...

Growin older...i still had the odd Plastic Hating days...but i had already gotten use to them by this time...my eyesight...unfortunately...didnt seem to get use to my corrected readin and google-box viewin posture...instead choosin to escalate on an annual basis...i found myself visitin the 'eyesight guys' so frequently it seemed like a social visit...hell if i had known i would have charged them some money on an hourly basis...i was probably their most regular customer...even prostitutes never had it this good!

In my late teens i began to see the need to wear contact lenses...my active participation in football (read: soccer for you dimwitted Americans out there) witnessed many a broken glasses...by then my eyesight has sky rocketed to an incredible 800+ degrees on each side...mighty heavy for a lad so young...technology then for lenses werent as advanced as these days...soft lenses...which i preferred due to comfort...didnt provide the necasasry vision that i needed...so i had to turn to hard lenses...

I still remember the very first time i had them hard lenses in my eye...it was like someone had stabbed my eyes with a hot poker and increasin my agony by leavin it in my orifice...i sat in the optician's reclinin chair...with my tear ducts workin overtime...i swore i would have removed my eyeballs if i could...a sudden intrusion of 2 foreign objects in my eyes would warrant that i guess...but i knew better...my eyes simply had to get used to the 'hard-ness' of the RGP lenses..

5 years down the road...with technology improvin...i chanced upon a funky deal in an optician's shop a couple of weeks back...soft lenses now cater to people with high astigmism and short-sightedness of 1100 degrees...all these years i havnt been payin much attention to soft lense products...there's no need to anyway...i was hell bent on utilisin the hard lens' key feature...that is to correct one's vision...and i must say my perseverance has paid off...these 3 years my eyesight has hovered around the 1050 degrees mark...i guess all these years of troublesome lens cleanin and dryness has indeed paid off...im all primed for soft lenses...

I dont remember what it's like to wake up in the mornin with perfect vision...sight deficiency is part of who and what i am...in fact i seem to enjoy fumblin for my glasses every mornin just to walk around the house...the times i misplace my glasses and spend 30 minutes lookin for them are just classic (lol)...my friends have been mortified at the extent of my short-sightedness...but i guess it's fair to say what i lack in sight (ala Daredevil) i make up in heaps with my personality...

Now...if that's not a good trade off...i dont know what is...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]